Everyone loves a classic British Shepherd’s pie. It’s usually made with lamb mince, but in this recipe you’ll be using chunks of lamb neck fillet to get the best out of the slow cooker. After a ‘low and slow’ cook for 8 hours, the meat will fall apart on your fork and melt in your mouth – exactly how it should be!
This recipe requires a little preparation upfront and at the the end, so take that into consideration when planning your timings for the day. Firstly, in a hot pan with a little oil, sauté the onion and brown the chunks of lamb in the frying pan – this locks in the flavour and adds colour to the meat. Next, allow the slow cooker to work it’s magic, and 8 hours later you will have a mouth-watering filling for your pie.
In the meantime, prepare some creamy mashed potato to get ready for the final step.
Once the slow cook is finished, check the consistency and if you’d like to thicken the mixture, add a little cornflour (mixed with water first) until you reach your desired thickness. Be careful not to overdo it though. Transfer everything to a pie dish, spread mashed potato over the top and finish off under the grill for 5 minutes to add some colour.
Slow Cooker Chunky Lamb Shepherd’s Pie
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- Grill (broiler)
- 500 g Lamb neck fillet chopped
- 1 Onion white, diced
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 250 ml Beef stock
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1/2 tbsp Dried thyme
- 2 Carrots diced
- 230 g Frozen peas
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1-2 tbsp Cornflour to thicken at the end
- Mashed potatoes to top at the end
- Sauté the onion and lightly brown the lamb in the frying pan.
- Combine all ingredients (except for mashed potatoes!) in the slow cooker and stir well.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Optional: carefully thicken the mixture by adding small amounts of cornflour (mixed with a little warm water first) and stirring well.
- Transfer the mixture to a pie dish, top with mashed potato and rough up the surface with a fork.
- Place under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes until a lovely golden brown colour.