A cake in the slow cooker?! We know this might sound a little different, but trust us. Of course, the slow cooker is mainly associated with cooking meats and hearty stews, but it may be more versatile that you think – including being able to offer up a light and fluffy lemon cake!
You may have a lot of the ingredients for this recipe lurking in the back of the cupboard from baking days gone by. So why not try this recipe and finally use them up!
One unique requirement for this recipe is to cover the base of the slow cooker with baking paper. This prevents the mix sticking to the sides and from burning at the edges. It also makes it easier to lift out at the end. Once you’ve done this, simply pour in the cake mixture, and set on high for 2.5 hours. All slow cookers run at slightly different temperatures, so just keep an eye on yours, as you may want to adjust the cooking time slightly.
We made this on our 1 year Instagram anniversary (hence the 1 candle!). It was a bit of fun really, but we were really pleased with how it turned out! So why not try it yourself? It’s also a really fun one to make with the little ones. You can teach them cooking as well as patience!
Slow Cooker Lemon Drizzle Cake
- Slow Cooker
- Baking parchment
- 160 g Self-raising flour
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 115 g Butter
- 225 g Caster sugar
- 120 g Soured cream
- 2 Eggs
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1.5 tbsp Lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 100 g Icing sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice add more or less to obtain the preferred consistency.
- Line the bottom of your slow cooker with baking parchment, making sure about an inch of the sides are covered too.
- Mix all of the cake ingredients well and pour into the slow cooker.
- Optional: place a clean tea towel under the lid to absorb any condensation that may drip onto your cake.
- Cook on high for 2 hours 30 mins. Check if cooked to your desired consistency. You may need to cook for an extra 30 mins.
- Use icing sugar and lemon juice to create a drizzle, and pour over your cake.