Whole Hoisin Duck with Pancakes Fakeaway
Crispy aromatic duck is one of the nation’s favourite Chinese takeaway dishes and this slow cooker adaptation is a real show stopper. It looks and smells amazing, with the taste to match.
Leave the takeaway menus in the drawer, pick up a whole duck and create this impressive fakeaway dish instead.
A good quality hoisin sauce is key to this recipe. We recommend checking out your local Chinese supermarket and looking for the Flying Goose brand. You’ll be able to find the pancakes here too, often in the frozen section.
After creating a sauce, a low and slow cook is essential for this recipe. We also recommend cooking the duck upside down, so the meaty section cooks in the sauce. There is very little meat on the underside of ducks, so it will benefit from being flipped the other way!
After the slow cook, it’s time carefully remove and place under a hot grill to finish up. Grill for as long as you need until you have an amazing crispy skin. Then it’s just a case of using a couple of forks to shred and pick off the meat, before stuffing into pancakes with cucumber and spring onion. Add more hoisin sauce to each pancake if you like, and enjoy!
Slow Cooked Hoisin Whole Duck with Pancakes
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (broiler)
- 1.7 kg Whole duck
- 150 ml Hoisin sauce
- 150 ml Chicken stock
- 100 g Honey
- 2 tbsp Soy sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 10 g Ginger peeled and minced
- 12-15 'Mandarin' pancakes
- 30 g Cucumber thinly sliced
- 30 g Spring Onion thinly sliced
- Place the duck upside down into the slow cooker (so the breast meat cooks in the juices).
- Combine all the other ingredients in a bowl, stir well and then pour over the duck
- Cook for 7-8 hours on the low.
- Carefully remove the duck from the slow cooker and place breast side up on a grilling rack. Place under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes, occasionally spooning the sauce from the slow cooker over the duck. Grill until the skin starts to crisp.
- Shred pieces of duck meat using two forks and serve in steamed pancakes with thinly sliced cucumber and spring onion. Add more hoisin sauce as desired.