Spice aficionados, this one’s for you! This recipe is the perfect marriage between spicy hot sauce and the tender juiciness of slow cooked chicken wings. And the beauty is you can choose whatever your favourite hot sauce is. This incredibly easy recipe is great for a party-starter or a treat-yourself kind of dish for those who love a kick.
The recipe is incredibly easy, with just two main ingredients. Place your chicken wings in the slow cooker and douse them generously with a hot sauce of your choice. That’s it! You could use any hot sauce of your choice here. If you want to add a slightly sweet touch as well, you could also add some honey.
Then just set your slow cooker to high for 3-4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
The Final Touch:
Once the wings are done slow cooking, remove them and place on a baking tray. Pop them under a grill for a few minutes to start crisping up the exterior. Then use a corn flour slurry (which is simply a mixture of corn flour and water) to thicken the sauce. Mix it in with the remaining liquid in the slow cooker to make a velvety, spicy glaze.
Then remove the wings from the grill and brush them generously with your thickened sauce. Return them to the grill, flipping and brushing as many times as desired until you achieve your preferred level of sticky goodness.
I love pairing these hot wings with a side of ranch dip and some celery sticks—but let’s be honest, how often do those celery sticks actually get eaten?
Super Easy Spicy Chicken Wings
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (aka 'broiler')
- 1 kg Chicken wings approx 800g with wing tips removed
- 265 g Hot Sauce of your choice, spice level to preference
For thickening the sauce
- 1-2 tbsp Cornflour mix 1 part cornflour to 2 parts water, to make a slurry
- Prepare your chicken wings by cutting the drummette, wingette and wing tip. Discard the wing tips. See the attached video for a useful guide.
- Mix the prepared chicken wings with your hot sauce.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 6-8 hours on low.
- After slow cooking, carefully remove and place on a baking tray. Put under a hot grill for a few minutes.
- To thicken the sauce in the slow cooker, mix a small amount of cornflour slurry with the leftover sauce. Scrape any bits of hot sauce off the side of the slow cooker.
- Remove the wings from under the grill and brush them with the thickened hot sauce. Grill again, keeping an eye on the hot wings so that they don't burn. Repeat and flip as many times as you like, until you reach your desired crispiness and colour.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why Not Try?
Want a slow cooked chicken recipe, but don’t fancy this one? Then take a look at all of our chicken recipes here. Or for all our recipes, use our recipe finder to narrow down a recipe choice! You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.
If you’re a fan of hot sauces, why not experiment with different brands? Alternatively, you could try using different cuts of chicken like drumsticks. And if you’re catering for a crowd, use our ingredients multiplier feature to easily scale up the recipe.
Loved the spice and all things nice? Rate this recipe above, leave your saucy comments below, or snap a fiery pic and tag @slowcookersundays_ on Instagram. We can’t wait to see your creations!