Whole Chicken Rogan Josh
This slow cooked whole chicken curry recipe is easy, economical and seriously tasty. What’s not to love?
We think slow cooking a whole chicken is great. Firstly, a 3.5L slow cooker fits a whole chicken perfectly. Second, you can set the slow cooker, forget about it, and know you’ll have a perfectly cooked chicken at the end. And finally, cooking whole chickens can be really economical – it will either feed a crowd, or keep you going in leftovers for days!
We use a shop-bought curry paste for this dish. Some say it’s cheating, we say it’s being smart! If you want to try a ‘homemade’ Rogan Josh in the slow cooker, why not try our Lamb Rogan Josh recipe?
Cooking this chicken on low, for a long period of time, is a must. That way you’ll get a succulent, tender chicken that will fall off the bone and melt in the mouth.
By stuffing sweet potato chunks around the chicken in the slow cooker, you’ll also get a lovely side dish of curried sweet potatoes to serve up. Combine this with all of your other favourite curry sides dishes, and you’ll have a curry night to impress everyone around the table!
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken Rogan Josh
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Medium whole chicken Approx 1.3-1.5kg
- 500 g Sweet Potato Cut into cubes
- 280 g Rogan josh spice paste 1 standard jar
- 400g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 Red onion Diced
- 300 ml Double cream
- Handful Coriander Chopped
- In a mixing bowl, combine Rogan Josh spice paste, tinned tomatoes, double cream, and 1/2 a red onion.
- Place the whole chicken in the slow cooker and fill any gaps with sweet potato.
- Top with the rest of the diced red onion.
- Cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Top with freshly chopped coriander and enjoy.
This was so easy and delicious plenty of leftovers which reheated well can’t wait to try more recipes !!!
Pleased to hear you enjoyed it! We love this one too.