These slow cooker chicken and black bean enchiladas are incredible! This recipe brings together tender slow-cooked chicken, hearty black beans, smoky chipotle paste, and a medley of aromatic herbs and spices. The mix is wrapped in tortillas, smothered in a smokey tomato sauce from the slow cooker and layered with gooey cheese. These enchiladas are a fiesta on your plate!
We use diced chicken breast to form the protein base for this recipe. If you prefer, you could also put the chicken breasts in whole and shred them after the slow cooker. The star ingredient this this recipe is chipotle paste. It adds a smokey kick, even when used in small quantities. When combined with the rich pasata and aromatic herbs, you’ll create a bold flavour base that can be used in lots of other recipes. With this and the other readily available ingredients, you’ll have everything you need to create a culinary masterpiece!
After allowing the flavors to meld together during the slow cooking process, the tender chicken and beans are ready to be used as the filling for your enchiladas. Assembling the enchiladas is a breeze. Warm up the tortillas first, to make them more pliable. We just pop them in the microwave for 20 seconds. Next, spoon the chicken and black bean mixture onto each tortilla and sprinkle grated cheese inside. Roll them up and place them side by side in a baking dish. Don’t worry if sauce leaks out or things get messy, it all adds to the final dish!
Next, pour the sauce from the slow cooker on top of the tortillas. A final generous layer of cheese on top adds a delectable golden crust when baked or grilled in the oven.
Once the enchiladas are out of the oven, let them cool slightly before serving. Garnish with freshley chopped parsley. You can also add a dollop of sour cream, and a squeeze of lime for a burst of freshness. You could pair the enchiladas with with Mexican rice, refried beans, or a refreshing salad.
The final dish
Most enchilada recipes use a small amount of sauce and then each enchilada is carefully placed on a plate – but not this one! The sauce from the slow cooker tastes so good, my view is why not use it all. Afterwards, I carve into the final dish and scoop out portions rather than individual enchiladas. It almost ends up looking like a lasagna! They key thing is… it tastes amazing.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas
- Slow Cooker
- 2 Chicken breasts cut into chunks
- 400 g Tinned black beans drained: 400g tin is 240g drained
- 500 g Tomato passata
- 1 Red pepper deseeded and sliced
- 1/2 Red onion diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Chipotle paste
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp Dried basil
- pinch Salt and pepper
- 3-6 Tortillas
- 150 g Grated chedder and Mozzarella
- Freshley chopped parsley optional
- In the slow cooker combine chicken breast, drained tinned black beans, passata, red pepper, red onion, garlic, chipotle paste, basil, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 5-6.
- In a baking dish, fill tortilla wraps with the chicken and black bean mix. Add cheese and roll tightly. Place each filled wrap next to each other until there's no space left in the dish.
- Spoon the remaining sauce from the slow cooker over the filled tortillas in the baking dish.
- Sprinkle over plenty of cheese.
- Place in a hot oven, or under a hot grill, until the cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.