This slow cooker Korean chicken is succulent, sweet and spicy. Serve up in a bowl with sticky rice and fresh, crisp vegetables for a perfectly balanced, refreshing and healthy dish.
Gochujang chilli paste
The key ingredient in this recipe is Gochujang chilli paste. It’s a thick, red, spicy sauce that is often used in Korean dishes. You only need a small amount of it to make a big impact on the flavour. You should be able to find it in most larger supermarkets and if not, you will definitely find it in your local asian supermarket. We use Waitrose own Gochujang paste.
When combined with the honey, we find this combination is a perfect balance of sweet and spice. However, if you’re a fan of spice then add an extra teaspoon of Gochujang paste. On the other hand, if you want something more mild, use a teaspoon less.
This recipe is super straight-forward. First, you need to combine a few ingredients to make the sauce. Second, combine that with chopped chicken thigh. You can use chicken breast in this recipe if you prefer, but we find the deeper flavour of chicken thigh adds a lot to the dish. Finally, add everything the slow cooker with some slices of fresh ginger.
Cook this for 3 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low. At the end give it a stir, remove the ginger slices and then it’s time to assemble your rice bowl!
You can customise the rice bowl however you like. We recommend including sticky rice and a good selection of fresh, crisp veggies like carrots, radish and spring onion. If you prefer, you could just combine the chicken with rice or noodles for a bulkier main dish.
Slow Cooker Korean Chicken and Rice Bowl
- 1 Slow Cooker
- 450 g Chicken thighs Boneless, chopped
- 4 tsp Gochujang chilli paste
- 2 tsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Juice of half a lime
- 8 g Ginger Sliced
Ideas for a rice bowl:
- Sticky rice
- Cucumber Sliced
- Carrot Grated or in ribbons
- Edamame beans
- Radishes Finely sliced
- Red Cabbage Finely sliced
- Spring onion Finely chopped
- Sesame seeds
- Combine gochujang chilli paste, sesame oil, light soy sauce, honey and the juice of half a lime. This is your sauce.
- Roughly chop boneless chicken thighs into large chunks. Add to your sauce and stir well.
- Place 4-5 thin slices of ginger in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour over the chicken and sauce.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6-7 hours.
- After cooking remove the ginger slices and stir well.
For the rice bowl
- Create a rice bowl using sticky rice and all of your favourite veggies. We use cucumber slices, carrot ribbons, edamame beans, radishes, spring onion and top with sesame seeds. You could also just enjoy the chicken with rice or noodles.
Why not try?
If you like asian-style chicken with rice, then why not try this sriracha honey shredded chicken recipe? Or if you like the idea of a light salad style dish but don’t fancy chicken, then why not try this slow cooker asian satay beef salad?