With just a few simple ingredients, you can create a lovely chicken casserole style dish. Leek is the star in this dish. It’s a fantastic seasonal vegetable, which is packed full of nutrients and antioxidants – perfect to keep those winter sniffles at bay. Combine that with the rich flavours of bacon and mustard and you’ve got a lovely winter warmer for dinner!
This dish requires a little work upfront in the pan, to saute the onions, brown the chicken and bacon and bring together the reamining ingredients. We use chicken thigh in this recipe, which is rich in flavour, but you could swap this out for leaner chicken breast.
Serve on top of a bed of creamy mashed potatoes, spoon over the liquid from the slow cooker and enjoy!
Chicken, Bacon, Leek and Mustard Casserole
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 500 g Chicken thighs boneless
- 100 g Smoked bacon lardons
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 400 ml Chicken stock
- 2 Leeks chopped
- 3 tbsp Whole grain mustard
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- Soften the onions in a pan with a small amount of oil. Add the chicken and bacon for 5-8 minutes to lightly brown.
- Add the other ingredients to the pan, stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the contents to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.