Chilli con carne, literally meaning ‘chilli with meat’ is a classic dish originating from Northern Mexico. We’ve put twist on this recipe by adding a small amount of dark chocolate to give extra depth of flavour and a silky smooth texture.
We recommend using beef braising steak for this recipe, also known as ‘chuck’. It has a lovely marbling of fat that breaks down through slow cooking.
This recipe is split into a few very simple steps. First, brown the beef and soften the onions in a pan. Second, mix everything apart from the dark chocolate in the slow cooker. Third, with 10 minutes to go, stir in good quality 75% or 80% dark chocolate. The heat in the slow cooker will melt it as you stir.
We prefer a low and slow cook for 8 hours on this one, but you can also do this for 4 hours on high. Just choose whatever works around your day.
Feeling brave? If you want some extra spice, why not add some extra chilli powder or a 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes.
Chunky Beef Chocolate Chili Con Carne
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 600 g Beef braising steak cut into chunks
- 400 g Tinned chopped tomatoes
- 400 g Tinned red kidney beans
- 250 ml Beef stock
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 tsp Chilli powder Hot
- 1 Onion white, diced
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- 25 g Dark chocolate 70% or 80%
- In a hot pan and a little oil, soften the onions for a few minutes and lightly the beef on all sides. Do this in batches if needed.
- Apart from the dark chocolate, mix all other ingredients well in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- With 10 minutes to go, break dark chocolate into chunks, add to the slow cooker and stir well until melted. Put the lid on and cook for a further 10 minutes.