Slow cooked pulled beef, in a roll or baguette, topped with melted cheese and dipped in a rich beef broth… it doesn’t get much better than that!
There’s a few steps to bring this recipe to life. First, brown the beef in a pan and saute sliced onions. We highly recommend using beef braising steak (also known as beef chuck). You can use any cut of beef you like really, but if it’s a thick joint, we recommend cutting it up into large chunks first. That way it will shred better at the end.
Second, after slow cooking the beef and onions in beef broth with mustard, you need to prepare your ‘sandwiches’. We recommend using ‘sub’ type rolls or baguettes for this recipe. Just don’t choose a roll that’s too soft, or it will fall apart when you dunk it in the broth. Butter the rolls if preferred, then layer on your slow cooked shredded beef and top with plenty of cheese of your choice. We recommend grated Gruyère cheese. Stick this all under the grill until the cheese melts.
Finally, spoon out the broth from the slow cooker into a bowl and get dipping! Check out the video below to see how we do it.
Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 750 g Braising steak aka 'beef chuck'
- 1 White onion Sliced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 75 g Gruyère cheese (grated) or any cheese of your choice
- 6 Rolls or small baguettes
- Handful Fresh parsley chopped
- Combine rich beef stock, Worcestershire sauce and wholegrain mustard in the slow cooker.
- In a hot pan, with a little oil, brown your braising steak on all sides for a couple of minutes.
- Remove the beef and in the same pan, with a little more oil, cook sliced onion and minced garlic until soft.
- Add the beef, onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- Remove the beef from the slow cooker and shred. Keep the broth and juices in the slow cooker and set to warm.
- Stuff the shredded beef into buttered bread rolls, top liberally with cheese and grill until melted.
- Top with chopped fresh parsley.
- Transfer the broth from the slow cooker to a dipping bowl and get dipping!