World Cup Slow Cooker Chilli Dogs
Chilli dogs are the perfect party food and with the World Cup being on, there’s no better time to make this slow cooker centrepiece. After cooking, simply set the slow cooker to warm and your guests can pick out their chilli dogs whenever they want throughout the match!
This recipe is split into a few simple steps. First, you need to prepare an easy beef chilli mix in the pan. We keep this part of the recipe really simple and don’t add other ingredients you may expect to see in a chilli, such as red kidney beans or peppers. The reason for this is that we don’t want to overload the hot dogs and make them difficult to eat. You could add extra ingredients if you want to, but just make sure to cut anything extra very small.
Second, you just need to add the chilli mix to hot dogs in the slow cooker. After a slow cook, the flavours will be incredible. And then finally, serve them up with the toppings of your choice. We add grated chese, red onion and parsley to some delicious brioche hot dog buns.
You could easily increase the quantity of this recipe if you want to – we use a 3.5L slow cooker and there’s plenty of spare room. You could probably triple up on the quantity if you’re using a similar sized slow cooker and having a big party! This recipe is really economical, so you can feed a crowd on a budget.
Slow Cooker Chilli Dogs
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 350 g Beef mince
- 1-2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 White onion finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Chilli powder
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 6 Hot dogs tinned, approx 300g drained
- Hot dog buns
- Extras such as cheese, crispy onions, parsley and sauces
- In a hot pan with a little oil, saute the onion and garlic until softened. Then add chilli powder and cumin and stir well.
- Add tomato puree, stir well and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, sugar and oregano and stir well.
- Add tinned chopped tomatoes, stir well and cook for a few further minutes.
In the slow cooker
- Place the hot dogs in the bottom of the slow cooker. Pour over the chilli mix from the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high or 5-6 hours on low.
- Carefully pick out the hot dogs and place into hot dog buns. Spoon over the chilli and add the toppings of your choice to finish.
Like the sound of the recipe but not sure where to start? Check out the full follow-along recipe video here.
Why not try?
Want a slow cooked beef recipe, but don’t fancy this one? Then take a look at all of our beef recipes here. Or for all our recipes, use our recipe finder to narrow down a recipe choice!