Slow cooked ribs that fall away from the bone, in a sticky, sweet hoisin based sauce – what’s not to love?! This recipe brings out the best of the slow cooker – it’s simple, economical and tasty.
You may have enjoyed Chinese style ribs from your local takeaway, and even bought ready-made ribs from the chilled section in the supermarket. Instead, buy a rack of ribs from the supermarket or butcher and you’ll just how much extra meat you get for your money.
Not enough room for all the ribs? You can stack the racks of ribs on top of one another in the slow cooker. Just make sure you rub the sauce on all sides of the ribs first.
After slow cooking, we recommend laying the ribs carefully out on a baking tray or rack, layering on the leftover sauce and grilling for 5-10 minutes to add extra flavour and colour.
Check out the follow along video below to guide you through the process.
This dish is really versatile. We served with rice and steamed garlic broccoli, and topped the ribs with sesame seeds and spring onion. These ribs could work as a starter, side dish or main, depending on you fancy enjoying them.
How did you get along with this one? Feel free to tag us in any attempts on Instagram!
Slow Cooker Chinese Pork Ribs
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (broiler)
- 1.5 Kg Pork ribs
- 100 g Hoisin sauce
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 75 g Honey
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 3 tbsp Sweet chilli sauce
- 8 g Ginger minced
- 4 Garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Cornflour optional
- Handful Spring onion to serve
- Pinch Sesame seeds serve
- Mix hoisin sauce, soy sauce, honey, sweet chilli sauce, ginger and gali to create your sauce.
- Place the racks of ribs in the slow cooker and pour over the sauce. You may want to flip the ribs over a couple of times to make sure the sauce is rubbed into all sides.
- Cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Carefully remove the ribs and place on an grilling rack.
- Carefully transfer the leftover sauce to a pan. Add a little cornflour (mixed with a little warm water first). Heat over a high heat until gently bubbling. Continuously stir for around 5 minutes while the sauce thickens.
- Pour the thickened sauce over the slow cooked ribs and place under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes.
- Top with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion.