This vegan recipe delivers a delicious creamy curry that is packed full of flavour and goodness. This dish also dispels the myth that slow cookers are just for meat. Set the slow cooker and the timer, and come back to a fantastic vegan curry later in the day.
Sweet potatoes are fantastic when slow cooked – they’ll be soft but retain their shape and soak up all of the flavours in the pot. A few spices and good quality coconut milk are all it takes to give this curry it’s flavour, but if you fancy a bit of a kick, just throw in some dried chilli flakes. Start with half a teaspoon. You can always add more at the end.
Chickpeas give this dish a protein boost as well as flavour, making this a well-balanced meal for all to enjoy.
After slow cooking, add in fresh spinach and stir it in immediately. The residual heat from the slow cooker will wilt the leaves nicely. Then serve this straight out of the slow cooker with some rice, naan bread and any other curry sides of your choice!
Check out the follow along recipe video below to guide you through the process from start to finish!
Slow Cooker Vegan Sweet Potato Curry
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Onion white, finely diced
- 450g Sweet potato peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 1 tbsp Garam masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Cumin
- Pinch Salt
- 3 Garlic cloves minced
- 7 g Ginger peeled and minced
- 400 g Tinned tomatoes
- 400 ml Coconut milk do not use 'reduced fat'
- 400 g Tinned chickpeas drained
- 125g Spinach
- Chilli flakes optional – to taste
- Apart from the spinach, place all ingredients into the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- After cooking, place the spinach into the slow cooker and stir well. The residual heat will wilt the spinach.
- Note: check the potato is cooked through properly. You may need to add 30-60 minutes depending on how hot your slow cooker runs and the size of the sweet potato chunks.