Pumpkins are a fantastic seasonal vegetable, but it can be difficult to know what to use them for – apart from making scary Halloween decorations of course! Why not use the slow cooker to make an easy, creamy pumpkin soup. Using the slow cooker also has the added benefit of filling your home with the fantastic autumnal smell of pumpkin and spices.
You need two pieces of equipment for this recipe: a slow cooker and a hand blender. The slow cooking part is simple. All you need to do is peel and roughly diced your veggies, add the garlic, vegetable stock and curry powder. The curry powder is where you make can make this pumpkin soup a bit more spicy or keep it mild. Use a medium spice curry powder if you want a little bit of a kick. Or use mild curry powder if you don’t. A hot curry powder would probably be overpowering – but in all honesty we’ve never tried it with this recipe.
After the slow cook, you just need to blend all of the ingredients, before stirring in some single cream. To make this recipe vegan, just use a vegan alternative to single cream. Some different options can be found here.
Caution – don’t put hot liquids into a nutribullet
Be careful when using the hand blender. Remember, this is potentially very hot liquid you’re dealing with. Definitely do not put hot liquids into a complete sealed blender like a nutribullet – as this can be dangerous. The hot liquid can cause pressure build up and release when you open it. So definitely use a hand blender instead, or food processor with an open lid.
Ladle the spiced pumpkin soup into bowls, and if you’d like, swirl in a little extra cream for an artistic touch. Crack some black pepper on top and if you feel extra fancy, you can add a little bit of parsley. Pair with crusty bread or croutons, and savour the warm embrace of the season with every spoonful.
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- Slow Cooker
- Hand Blender
For the slow cook
- 1 kg Pumpkin Peeled and cubed. A 1.3-1.5kg pumpkin will be approx 1kg when prepared.
- 400 g Potato Peeled and cubed.
- 220 g Carrots Peeled and cubed. Approx 2 large carrots.
- 1 Onion Diced
- 2 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 tbsp Curry powder Mild or Medium, to preference
- l litre Vegetable stock
- 150 ml Single cream Plus a little extra to serve
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper Optional, to serve
- Peel and roughly chop pumpkin, carrot, potato and onion. Mince the garlic cloves.
- In the slow cooker, combine the pumpkin, carrot, potato, onion, garlic, curry powder and vegetable stock.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours. Alternatively cook on high for at least 4 hours, or until all vegetables are soft.
- Use a hand blender to blend everything until smooth. Do not use a sealed nutribullet to blend hot liquid.
- Stir in the single cream until completely combined.
- Spoon into bowls. Optionally swirl a little extra cream and crack black pepper on top.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.