Cooking roast dinners with all the trimmings can be an organisational challenge at the best of times. Whether it’s fighting for oven and hob space, or getting all the timings right, we all know it’s not easy. If you love having braised red cabbage with your roast dinner (especially at Christmas), then why not make life a little easier and get the slow cooker to work away while you sort out everything else!
This recipe is very simple. One whole red cabbage, one bramley apple, a few extra bits for that warming, spiced flavour and away you go. Just make sure you cut up the cabbage nice and thinly – you could even cut it finer than we do in the video below.
You really don’t need to be exact to time with this one. Just give it a quick stir a few hours in, and keep cooking for another hour. After that, if your timings slip and this stays cooking for longer, then it won’t be a problem. One less thing to stress about!
Slow Cooker Braised Red Cabbage
- Slow Cooker
- 1 Red cabbage cored and sliced thinly
- 1 Bramley apple peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar
- 50 ml Apple cider vinegar
- 1 Peel of an orange
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 4 Cloves whole
- 1 Star anise whole
- 1 Handful Walnuts crushed
- In the slow cooker, mix sliced red cabbage, grated bramley apple, brown sugar and apple cider vinegar.
- Add a cinnamon stick, star anise, whole cloves and orange peel.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Remove the cinnamon, star anise, cloves and orange peel. Stir well as the liquid will sink to the bottom. If there’s very little liquid left in the bottom of the slow cooker, consider adding 50-100ml of water at this point.
- Cook on high for a further 1 hour.
- Top with crushed walnuts.