Sausage casserole is a classic slow cooker dish. We have twisted things up in this recipe by incorporating our favourite chicken sausages as a lean alternative to pork. If chicken sausage casserole isn’t something you’ve tried before you’ve got to give it a go!
Our favourite chicken sausages are Heck’s Chicken Italias, but there are plenty of good options available. You could even use a vegetarian or vegan sausage in this recipe if you prefer. The rest of the ingredients are readily available and you may have them in your cupboards at home already. And remember, as always, there’s no need to use an expensive wine when slow cooking!
We recommend taking a little extra time to fry off the onions, garlic and tomato puree in a pan first. You can also brown the chicken sausages if you like, though this isn’t necessary.
After that, it’s just a case of mixing everything else in the slow cooker and setting it to work its magic!
We served with thick crusty bread and topped with chives.
Slow Cooker Chicken Sausage and Bean Casserole
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 340 g Heck Chicken Italia sausages 1×10 pack
- 1 Onion Finley diced
- 3 cloves Garlic Minced
- 2 Carrots Peeled and diced
- 100 ml White wine
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g Tin butter beans Drained
- 400 g Tin borlotti beans Drained
- 200 ml Chicken stock
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- Handful Fresh thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Pinch Salt
- Pinch Pepper
- Chop your chicken sausages into halves or thirds and remove sausage casing if preferred.
- Optional: Fry the onion and garlic in a pan with a little oil for a few minutes. Then add the paprika, salt, pepper and tomato paste for a further 2 minutes, stirring well. You can also brown your sausages at this stage too if you like, but this isn't necessary.
- Simply add all of your ingredients to the slow cooker and stir well!
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.