Japanese inspired Katsu curry is a popular dish all over the world. In this recipe, we’ve twisted up this favourite by slow cooking and shredding Katsu chicken and stuffing it into burgers!
Katsu can be complicated, but we’ve simplified things into a slow cooker recipe that uses a small number of ingredients and has a short prep time! A good quality curry powder is key here. We use medium curry powder, which keeps this dish nice and mild. If you want a bit more spice, you could use a hot curry powder, or just add a 1/2tsp of chilli powder.
After slow cooking, it’s just a case of shredding up the chicken, stirring well and stuffing into burger buns of your choice. We loaded this into sesame seed burger buns, added coleslaw and served with parmesan fries.
Shredded Katsu Chicken Burgers
- 600 g Chicken Breast 4 whole breasts
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Medium curry powder
- 500 ml Chicken stock
- 1 Onion Finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tsbp Plain flour
- Mix all ingredients (apart from the chicken), stirring well and making sure there isn't any lumps from the flour. This is your sauce.
- Place the chicken breasts whole into the slow cooker and pour in the sauce.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
- Remove the chicken breasts and shred well with two forks. Add sauce from the slow cooker a little at a time, stirring well, until you've reached your desired sauciness! Stuff into burger buns and enjoy!
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.