Whether you’re vegan or just trying to cut down on your meat intake, this vegan pulled jackfruit dish will hit the spot! Long time vegans will know all about jackfruit as a great alternative to pulled pork. With just a few spices, BBQ sauce and a slow cook, you’ll have a fantastic shredded jackfruit base. Just load it onto fries with all of the toppings of your choice!
Tinned jackfruit is readily available in most supermarkets these days. Follow the recipe below, making sure to take the extra steps to dry the jackfruit at the start. Then with a BBQ sauce of your choice and a slow cook, it will rehydrate and absorb all that flavour!
To finish, we keep it simple with vegan smoked cheese, spring onion and freshly chopped parsley. You could add vegan garlic mayo, jalapeños, diced red onion, or whatever else you want! Don’t fancy fries? Alternatively, load this into toasted burger buns and top with vegan coleslaw!
Vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Loaded Fries
- Slow Cooker
- 400 g Tinned jackfruit pieces 400g tin = 225g drained
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 White onion diced
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic granules
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper optional
- 300 ml Barbeque sauce of your choice
For the fries
- Cooked french fries, vegan cheese and any other toppings of your choice!
- Drain the tinned jackfruit and dry very well by pressing with kitchen towel.
- Add the jackfruit to a medium heat pan without any oil and cook for a few minutes. This will help further remove moisture. Then add olive oil and diced onion, and cook for a further few minutes.
- Add paprika, brown sugar, garlic granules, and cayenne pepper (optional). Stir well and cook for a further few minutes.
- Transfer the mixture from the pan to the slow cooker. Add BBQ sauce and stir well.
- Cook for 3 hours on high for 5-6 on low.
- Shred the jackfruit and load onto cooked French fries. Top with vegan grated cheese, and place under the grill or in the oven until melted.
- Add all of your extra toppings and garnishes.