Beef brisket is what slow cookers were made for. It’s one of the tougher cuts of beef, but if you have the time to slow cook it, brisket will become tender and taste incredible. Adding a few simple ingredients is all it takes to convert this cut of meat into a succulent, flavoursome dish. With the spicy kick in this recipe, it’s perfect for those colder winter evenings.
Brisket will be available at all good butchers and many large supermarkets. In the UK, you’ll often find brisket is rolled – tied up with butchers string. For this recipe, we’d recommend removing the string and rolling the cut of meat out.
There is a little bit of preparation to do before placing this in the slow cooker, by combining a handful of spices to create a rub, searing the brisket in a hot pan and sautéing sliced onions. Want to see how it’s done? Check out the follow along recipe video below to, taking you from start to finish!
Try serving this with some potato wedges and coleslaw, or in a burger, or in a baguette – so many options!
Hot & Spicy Beer Brisket
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 800 g Beef brisket
- 2 tsp Mustard powder
- 2 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Brown sugar
- 0.25 tsp Black pepper
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- 1 White onion sliced
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 250 ml Beef stock
- 330 ml Beer of your choice
- Combine mustard powder, ground cumin, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, salt and pepper to create a spice rub. Rub well into all sides of the brisket.
- In a hot pan with a will a little oil, brown the brisket for 2-3 minutes on all sides.
- Remove the brisket, add a little more oil to the pan and sliced onion for 4-5 minutes, stirring in tomato puree after a few minutes.
- Place the brisket and onions in the slow cooker.
- Add beef stock and beer to the slow cooker. Keep adding the beer until the meat is submerged.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.