Beef and broccoli is a great combo. And when it comes to beef, you can’t beat an 8 hour low and slow cook. Leave the takeaway menus in the drawer, and prep your own version of this classic Asian style dish!
The beauty of this dish is its simplicity. All of the ingredients are readily available at the supermarket and you can use any cut of beef you like here. We would recommend quickly browning the beef on all sides before slow cooking, to seal in the flavour and add some lovely colour.
After that, everything except the broccoli goes in to the slow cooker. Throw the chopped broccoli into the slow cooker with 20 minutes to go and you’re done!
We served with jasmine rice and topped with sesame seeds and spring onion. You could also serve with noodles, or top with fresh sliced red chillies if you want to spice things up!
Slow Cooker Asian Style Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 750 g Diced beef
- 200 ml Beef stock
- 120 ml Light soy sauce
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil 1 tbsp for browning, 1 tbsp for the slow cooker
- 2 tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1 Whole Broccoli Chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds To serve
- 1 tbsp Spring onion Chopped, to serve
- 1 tbsp Cornflour Optional, to thicken sauce
- In a hot pan, with 1 tbsp of sesame oil, brown your beef lightly on all sides. Do this in batches if needed.
- In the slow cooker, mix the browned beef, beef stock, light soy sauce, brown sugar, garlic, and 1tbsp of sesame oil. Save the broccoli for later.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
- With 20 minutes remaining, place chopped broccoli into the slow cooker, stir well and put the lid back on.
- Optional: Mix 1 tbsp cornflour with a little water, add to the slow cooker and stir well to thicken the sauce.
- Top with sesame seeds and spring onion.