Beef and broccoli is a great combo. And when it comes to beef, you can’t beat a low and slow cook. This is a dish that beautifully marries simplicity with flavour. Leave the takeaway menus in the drawer, and prep your own version of this classic dish!
The beauty of this dish is its simplicity. All of the ingredients are readily available at the supermarket and you can use any cut of beef you like. We use beef shin because it has great depth of flavour and is also really cheap!
If you have the time, we would always recommend quickly browning the beef before slow cooking, to seal in the flavour and add some lovely colour. However, with this one we are going for ultimate ease and just throwing it in the slow cooker. Everything goes in except the broccoli. Throw the chopped broccoli into the slow cooker with 20 minutes to go, along with a bit of cornflour slurry to thicken the sauce, and you’re done!
We serve with jasmine rice and topped with sesame seeds and spring onion. You could also serve with noodles, or top with fresh sliced red chillies if you want to spice things up!
Customizing Your Dish
The beauty of this Asian Style Beef and Broccoli recipe is in its versatility, allowing you to tailor it to your taste buds:
- For a Spicy Kick: If you love a bit of heat, consider adding chilli flakes to the slow cooker. The slow cooking process will infuse the beef with a warm, spicy flavor that’s not too overpowering.
- A Touch of Aromatic Ginger: For an extra layer of flavor, match the amount of garlic in the recipe with some finely minced ginger. Ginger adds a fresh, zesty note that complements the beef and broccoli beautifully.
- Sweetness to Balance: Depending on your preference for sweetness, a drizzle of honey or a sprinkle of brown sugar can transform the dish. It adds a subtle sweetness that pairs perfectly with the savory notes of the beef.
- Vegetable Variations: While broccoli is a classic choice, feel free to experiment with other vegetables. Pak choi, for instance, adds a lovely crunch and flavour that balances the dish. Other great options include peppers or carrots, for a splash of colour.
Slow Cooker Asian Style Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan optional
- 500 g Diced beef we use beef shin
- 4 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 250 ml Beef stock
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
With 20-30 minutes to go
- 1/2 whole Broccoli chopped
- 2 tbsp Cornflour, to thicken sauce mixed with equal parts water first, to thicken
Optional, to serve
- Sesame seeds, spring onion, fresh chilli
Optional additional ingredients
- Pinch of chilli flakes, squeeze of honey, sprinkle of brown sugar, minced ginger, squeeze of lime juice
- Optionally brown your beef in a hot pan with a little oil.
- In the slow cooker, mix the beef, soy sauce, sesame oil, garlic and beef stock.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low.
- With 20-30 minutes remaining, add a small amount of cornflour slurry to thicken the sauce. Also add chopped broccoli into the slow cooker, stir well and put the lid back on.
- Serve with rice or noodles and any optional toppings of your choice.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.