We love a slow cooker fakeaway dish and there are no prizes for guessing which famous Portuguese restaurant chain inspired this recipe. Homemade Peri-Peri sauce all over a juicy whole slow cooked chicken – what’s not to love?!
This recipe is done in a few stages. First, you’ll need to make the Peri-Peri sauce. In the recipe below, we think this is comparable to a “hot” at Nandos. Depending on your preference, you may want to remove or add a few chilli peppers.
In this recipe, we also spatchcock the chicken. This may seem a little tricky if you’ve never done it before, but follow the YouTube video below and you’ll be fine! The reason we do this, is because we like to finish the chicken under the grill. By spatchcocking first, this allows you to flatten the chicken out on a rack, before placing under the grill. This means you can get a nice even finish all over the chicken.
Whilst the chicken is the centerpiece, you can’t make this dish without adding all of your favourite sides. We’re talking chips, garlic bread, peas with herby butter, coleslaw, corn on the cob… you get the idea!
Slow Cooker Whole Peri-Peri Chicken
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (broiler)
- Food processor
- 1.5 kg Whole chicken
- 10 Red chilli peppers seeds and white bits removed
- 4 Cloves garlic
- 1 Lemon Zest and juice of whole lemon
- 1 Red onion
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1.5 tsp Paprika
- 1.5 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- Optional: Spatchcock your chicken. This will mean you can grill the chicken more easily at the end, to add some extra colour and crisp up the skin. Watch the embedded video for a useful guide.
- Blend all ingredients (apart from the chicken) to make your Peri-peri sauce. Add more or less chili peppers depending on your spice preference. We would say this is comparable to a "hot" at Nando's.
- Pour your Peri-peri sauce over the chicken and cook for 7-8 hours on low.
- Optional: Place under a hot grill for 5-10 minutes.