Chicken ‘lollipops’ are a real show stopper and the perfect party food. Slow cooked chicken drumsticks with a simple spice rub, wrapped in bacon and dipped in BBQ sauce. You can even slow cook this one first and finish up on the barbeque, for a certain way to impress your guests!
This recipe requires some careful preparation upfront, to turn the chicken drumsticks into lollipops – just follow the instructions and video below. After that, it’s just a case of coating the chicken in the spice rub and wrapping tightly with as much bacon as you like!
After slow cooking in a BBQ sauce, finish up under a hot grill or on the barbeque for a golden crispy finish to the bacon. The leftover sauce from the slow cooker can be used as a dipping sauce. We also serve this with a sour cream and chive dipping sauce.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Bacon BBQ Lollipops
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (Broiler) – Optional
- 1 kg Chicken drumsticks
- 220 g Streaky bacon 1-2 rashers per drumstick
- 600 g BBQ sauce of your choice. Approx 500ml.
- 3 tbsp Worcesteshire sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 1.5 tbsp Paprika
- 0.5 tbsp Garlic granules
- Cut the chicken drumsticks into ‘lollipops’. Find where the meaty section ends and cut in a circular motion around the bone. Cut any tendons and scrape away any skin on the end of the bone, pushing the meaty section down the other way. Remove all skin from the meaty section as well.
- Mix brown sugar, paprika and garlic powder to make a spice rub. Coat the prepared chicken lollipops in this rub.
- Wrap the lollipops tightly with 1-2 rashers of streaky bacon.
- Mix BBQ sauce and Worcestershire sauce, and dunk each prepared lollipop in the sauce.
- Repeat the process and place all of your finished lollipops in the slow cooker. Pour in any remaining sauce.
- Cook for 3-4 hours on high, or 7-8 hours on low.
- Carefully remove the lollipops and finish under the grill (broiler) or on a BBQ for 5-10 minutes until the bacon is golden and crispy.