Chicken korma is regularly voted the UK’s favourite curry. Given that slow cookers and curries go hand-in-hand, it was only a matter of time before we took on the nations favourite. It’s time to get the slow cooker out enjoy the creamy goodness of this slow cooker chicken korma.
This recipe requires a few steps, but trust us they’re worth it. First, you need to sautè onions, ginger and garlic in a pan. In delicate recipes, slow cooking onions and garlic without doing this can leave the recipe tasting a bit metallic and strange. We’ve tried this recipe without doing this step and it doesn’t work, so it’s a must.
Second, you need to blend the onions, garlic and ginger with all of the spices and a little water – this will create your smooth korma sauce. After that, it’s over to the slow cooker along with the chicken breast (which you could swap for chicken thigh if you prefer).
Once the slow cook is done, just stir in the double cream and optionally add some ground almonds. Finally, to serve, sprinkle on some freshly chopped coriander and accompany with all of your favourite curry sides. If you’re feeling fancy, you could even toast some flaked almonds to sprinkle on top for an extra special finish!
Check out the recipe card below for all of the ingredients and full instructions. You can also watch the video below to follow along with us as you make it.
Slow Cooker Chicken Korma
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- Blender or Food Processor
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Small white onion chopped, sautèed
- 10 g Ginger chopped, sautèed
- 2 cloves Garlic chopped, sautèed
- 3 Chicken breasts chopped into bitesize chunks
- 1 tsp White sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 tsp Tumeric
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- 2 tbsp Mango chutney
- pinch Dried chilli flakes
- pinch Salt
- 100 ml Water
- 75 ml Double cream
- 2 tbsp Ground almonds optional
- Handful coriander to serve, chopped
- In a medium-heat frying pan with a small amount of vegetable oil, sautè chopped onion, garlic and ginger for 4-5 minutes or until softened.
- In a blender combine the sautèed onion, garlic and ginger with all of the spices listed above, tomato puree, mango chuntney and water. Blend until you create a smooth sauce.
- Place chopped chicken breasts into the slow cooker, pour over the sauce and stir well.
- Cook on high for 2.5-3 hours.
- After cooking, stir the contents of the slow cooker well, add double cream and stir well again. Optionally add ground almonds at this stage too. Turn the slow cooker off and put the lid back on for 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle freshly chopped coriander on top, serve with all your favourite curry sides and enjoy.
Fancy trying some other slow cooker curries? Then why not try our butter chicken or lamb rogan josh. Alternatively, head back over to the recipe finder page to find some more slow cooker recipe inspiration.
Our proof that Korma has been voted the UK’s favourite curry is here! So if you’re not a Korma fan, dont shoot the messenger!