Chinese Lemon Chicken Fakeaway
We all love a Chinese takeaway. But sometimes we want to have a go ourselves, use up some ingredients in the house and be in control of everything going into it. So here’s a really simple fakeaway you can make at home, at your own nice slow pace!
This is a very simple dish and you can pick everything up from the supermarket. There’s no need to cook the chicken at all in advance – just cut it into bitesize chunks and coat with the cornflour. Then its just a case of throwing everything else together in the slow cooker and turning it on. However, if your slow cooker runs really hot, you may want to add a little more liquid (100ml of water or low sodium chicken stock).
We recommend cooking this on high for 3 hours. There’s no real advantage to cooking small pieces of chicken for much longer (unlike with tougher meats like beef or lamb that definitely need it), but you can also cook this on low for 6 hours if you prefer.
After cooking, we served this on a bed of jasmine rice, topped with sesame seeds and chopped spring onion. You could also serve this with noodles and any of your favourite Chinese fakeaway sides.
Slow Cooker Chinese Lemon Chicken Fakeaway
- Slow Cooker
- 450 g Chicken Breast
- 1 Lemon Zest and juice of a whole lemon. Buy an extra lemon if you want to serve with slices.
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2.5 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Spring onion To garnish
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds To garnish
- 3 tbsp Cornflour
- 3 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 3 tbsp Honey
- Cut the chicken into bitesize chunks and coat in the cornflour
- Use the zest and juice of 1 whole lemon and combine with the soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, and minced garlic. This is your sauce.
- Coat the chicken in your sauce, add to the slow cooker and cook for 3 hours on high.