These slow cooked stuffed sweet baby peppers are fun to make and taste amazing. By using small peppers, the ratio of spiced beef to peppers is just right, without the need to stuff rice into the mix.
This recipe is really simple to make. Firstly, make a spiced beef mix by combining a few common herbs and spices with minced beef. Secondly, carefully cut out the inside of the peppers and fill with the beef mix. We picked up our sweet baby peppers from Asda. Next, place the stuffed peppers in the slow cooker pot, pour over a simple tomato sauce and let the slow cooker do the rest of the work.
After slow cooking, give the contents a stir and then add plenty of cheese until it melts. You can turn off the slow cooker and the cheese will melt in a matter of minutes. We use a four cheese mix in this recipe, for maxium taste and plenty of colour.
You can serve this dish in a variety of ways. As a main, you could serve with a flavourful Mexican style rice. You could also serve this as a side, along with other Mexican style bites.
Want to use large bell peppers?
You can use standard peppers for this recipe if you like, but you’ll need more beef. For 4 large bell peppers, we recommend doubling up the quantity of ingredients for both the beef mix and tomato sauce and this will comfortably feed four people. However, the reason we like using small peppers is the ratio of peppers to beef is just right, without needing to add rice to the mix.
Stuffed Sweet Baby Peppers
- Slow Cooker
- 500 g Sweet mini peppers
- 150 g Minced beef
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 0.5 tsp Cayenne
- 2 tsp Minced garlic We use 'lazy' garlic in this recipe
- 80 g Tinned sweetcorn Drained
- 1 tbsp Tomato puree
- 400 g Tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Tomato puree
- pinch Salt
- pinch Paprika
- pinch Oregano
- 75 g Grated cheese
- Cut the tops off the baby peppers and discard. Carefully remove and discard the seeds and membrane from inside the peppers.
- Mix minced beef, with the listed spices, tomato puree and sweetcorn. Stir well.
- Create a simple tomato sauce by combining a tin of chopped tomatoes with tomato puree, a pinch of salt, oregano and paprika.
- Stuff the beef mix into the peppers.
- Place the stuffed peppers in the slow cooker. Pour over the tomato sauce mix.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours.
- Turn off the slow cooker. Remove the lid, sprinkle over grated cheese. Place the lid back on and leave for 5-10 until the cheese melts.