Gammon in Coca-Cola has almost become a modern classic. It may sound odd if you haven’t had it before, but you have to try it! As you’d expect it adds sweetness, but isn’t sickly, and we really think this is one the whole family will enjoy.
By slow cooking the gammon, you can set this in the morning and forget about it, and you know it will come out extra juicy.
All of the ingredients are readily available at most supermarkets. We recommend using an unsmoked gammon. You could use a smoked joint, but you’ll be adding plenty of other flavours, so it’s not really necessary. We also recommend using ‘full-fat’ Coca-Cola as opposed to Diet Coke.
This recipe is split into two parts. First, the slow cooking. This could either be a 3-4 hours high, or 7-8 hours on low – but if you have the time, we recommend low and slow! Second, creating a maple and mustard glaze and finishing off in the oven. For the full instructions, scroll down and follow the recipe.
We’d recommend serving with a potato side of your choice (creamy mash, chips or boiled new potatoes – to name a few!) and some seasonal green veg.
Slow Cooker Gammon in Coca-Cola
- Slow Cooker
- 1.5 kg Unsmoked Gammon Joint
- 1.5 L Coca Cola Regular
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cinnamon Sticks
- 1 tbsp Cloves
For the Glaze
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 1.5 tbsp Brown sugar
- 100 ml Maple syrup
- Place the gammon in the slow cooker and cover with regular Coca Cola. Add cinnamon, cloves and the onion (chopped into 4 pieces).
- Cook for 4 hours on high, or 7-8 on low. If your gammon joint isn't fully covered, quickly flip over at the halfway point.
- Create a glaze by mixing maple syrup, wholegrain mustard and brown sugar.
- Set the oven to Fan 180°C. Remove the gammon from the slow cooker, and score any fatty sides with a sharp knife. Cover the gammon all over with the glaze and cook for 30 minutes.