Slow Cooker Pork and Apple
Pork and apple is one of those classic combinations that always delivers. In this slow cooker recipe we also combine mustard and honey for a lovely balance of sweet and sharp flavours.
We took inspiration from this great BBC Good Foods Recipe for this dish, making some adaptions to suit our preferences.
We use pork medallions in this dish. They’re a lean cut of pork, making this recipe a great healthy option. We recommend using fresh sage for this recipe, but if you don’t have any, you can use one teaspoon of dried sage instead.
Granny smiths are a great option here as they’re a bit sharper than other apples, so they add to the balance of flavours of this dish. However, in reality you can use whatever apples you like! We also prefer to keep the skin on, as it holds them together a little more as they soften throughout the slow cook.
This recipe is split into a few simple steps. First, brown sliced onions in a pan. This is an important step in slow cooking, especially where a recipe where onions play a prominent part. Without fryin them first, slow cooking onions can add a bitter taste to dishes. While the pan is out, it’s also worth quickly browning the pork loin medallions, to add some colour and flavour, but this isn’t a must with this recipe. Next, it’s a case of combining everything (except for the crème fraîche) and slow cooking.
Finally, after the slow cook, carefully remove the pork and stir in the crème fraîche. It’s worth bringing the crème fraîche out up to room temperature before stirring it in. Ours was straight from the fridge and a little too cold in this recipe, so it didn’t mix as well as we’d have liked!
To serve, plate up each pork loin on a bed of creamy mash, spoon over the apples, onions and sauce and top with freshly chopped parsley.
Slow Cooker Pork Loin with Apple
- Slow Cooker
- Frying Pan
- 4 Pork loin medallions
- 1 large White onion Sliced
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 300 ml Chicken stock Using a whole stock pot
- 2 Granny smith apples Cored and chopped into thick slices
- 2 tbsp Wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp Honey
- pinch Black pepper
- 4 Sage leaves Chopped
- 2 tbsp Crème fraîche For later
- In a medium-high heat pan with a little oil, soften and brown sliced white onion for 4-5 minutes.
- Put the cooked onion in the slow cooker and add chicken stock, sliced apple, wholegrain mustard, honey and black pepper. Stir well.
- In a high heat pan with a little more oil, brown the pork loin medallions for 1 minute on each side. Place in the slow cooker, underneath the other ingredients.
- Cook for 2-3 hours on high or 4-5 hours on low.
- After cooking, carefully remove the pork loin. Add room temperature creme fraiche, stir well and cook for a further 5 minutes. Wrap the pork loin in foil to keep warm.
Nutrition calculations only account for the ingredients stated in the slow cooker recipe. Serving suggestions such as rice and potatoes are not included. Remember to account for the nutritional values of anything you choose to accompany the recipe with.
Why not try?
Want a slow cooker pork recipe, but don’t fancy this one? Then take a look at all of our V/Vg recipes here. Or for all our recipes, use our recipe finder to narrow down a recipe choice!
You can also check out our YouTube page for all of our video recipes, including some longer form follow-along recipe videos.