It’s the most wonderful, indulgent time of the year! When we think of Christmas food, we instantly think of pigs in blankets. Here you’ll be creating them from scratch, in whatever shape or size you want, before slow cooking and finishing up under the grill. These Christmas classics will be juicy on the inside and crisp on the outside.
To create your own pigs in blankets, you need to start with a sausagemeat stuffing of your choice. We used a festive sausagemeat stuffing with pepper & nutmeg from Waitrose for our last batch, but you can get different varities all year round. Just simply shape the sausagement however you like and wrap with unsmoked streaky bacon.
After slow cooking with a mix of butter, thyme leaves and brown sugar, your pigs in blankets will be ready for grilling. Turn them regularly and use the juices from the slow cooker to baste them as you go. The brown sugar in the mix will caramalise and you’ll get fabulous golden brown pigs in blankets!
With the ingredients below you’ll get around 18-20 ‘finger-food’ size sausages. Enjoy these as part of a main, as a side, or as nibbles. We recommend smothering in gravy and topping with freshly chopped parsley.
Slow Cooker Pigs in Blankets
- Slow Cooker
- Grill (broiler)
- 450 g Sausage meat
- 250 g Unsmoked streaky bacon 250g = approx. 12 rashers
- 60 g Unsalted butter
- 25 g Brown sugar
- 8 sprigs Fresh thyme
- Using your hands, roll the sausage meat into a long sausage shape. Tightly wrap with streaky bacon rashers and cut into individual pigs in blankets. Roll through your hands to make sure each one is wrapped tightly.
- In a bowl, mix melted butter brown sugar and thyme leaves. Stir well.
- Place your pigs in blankets in the slow cooker pot and spoon over the butter, brown sugar and thyme mixture.
- Cook on high for 3 hours.
- Carefully remove and place the pigs in blankets onto a baking tray or rack. Place under a hot grill for 10-15 minutes, turning multiple times and using the liquid from the slow cooker to baste the pigs in blankets.